The Master of Clinical Psychology is a two-year full time postgraduate programme which prepares students professionally to practice as Clinical Psychologists. A clinical psychologist is involved in preventing, assessing, diagnosing and treating psychological disorders including those arising from emotional, personality, learning and behavioural problems that affect daily living and social functioning.
The programme consists of structured coursework, research and clinical practical training. Core subjects include child and adolescent clinical psychology, adult clinical psychology, psychological testing and assessment, psychotherapy approaches, cognitive-behavioural assessment and therapy, and research methods and statistics. Students will undergo clinical placement and training at the UKM Health Psychology Clinics as well as several government hospitals, university hospitals and mental health institutions nationwide. Throughout the clinical practicum students are trained to conduct clinical assessment, diagnosis and perform individual and group psychotherapy with children, adolescents, adults and older adults. Students are also required to carry out a research project in clinical psychology such as psychological disorders related to issues, psychogeriatric, psychosexuality, substance misuse and abuse, quality of life, psychological medicine and psychological rehabilitation under close supervision of faculty members.
Applicants who wish to apply for the program should fulfil the following entry requirements:
- A good pass in the Malaysian Certificate of Education (SPM) and a credit in Malay Language/a Credit in Malay Language July paper; and
- Bachelor Degree in Psychology with minimum 3.00 Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia or any Institution of higher learning recognized by the Senate; or
- Graduate Diploma in Psychology or Counselling from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia or any Institution of higher learning recognized by the Senate; and
- Pass the intake interview and aptitude test conducted by the program; and
- International applicant should get a minimum score of TOEFL 580/ TOEFL-CBT 230/TOEFL-IBT 88 or Band 6.5 for IELTS.
Download Master of Clinical Psychology FAQ HERE